Saturday, September 01, 2007

Leading from brokenness

It just hit me how Peter is a wonderful example of somebody who had to lead in his brokenness. Everybody in the early Church knew Peter as Christ's apostle, and one of his closest friends, but first and foremost he was known as the disciple who had failed Jesus on the evening of Christ's crucifixion through claiming not to know him and even swear that he didn't know him.

Talk about brokenness....being known as a deserter of the one who called you to lead a Church that was gonna change the world upside down.

I love Peter. I love his openness, frankness, big head, faith in himself, and how through his life as a disciple he came to the point of brokenness. He came to the place where all of us need to come to, where we're at the end of our rope, at the end of our own strength, and we have to surrender to Christ and accept the fact that we can't do it, we need Christ to live through us.

And then he was ready to lead. Ready to lead not out of his own strength, but in Christ's strength.

Many Christian leaders have told me that you should never say "I don't know" to people you're leading. I firmly disagree. I've also been told that you can't show weakness, and that you're struggling with different problems when you lead. I firmly disagree.

A good, Christian leader is open about his own brokenness. Is open about the fact that him/her does not have it all together. Is open about the fact that he is on the journey with Christ himself. He hasn't arrived.

If I as a leader want my students/followers to know what openness and brokenness is, I need to model it. And thank God, I have a man like Peter to look at.

God bless!

Torben

No comments: